Week 8

 Part 1:

Group 8:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdkkDc02Ktk


I actually found this video very interesting covering a topic that used to seem something only seen in the movies but now a reality. The topic is covered well addressing all sides of this ethical question of "Autonomous weapons” being ethically used in warfare. The topic is clear that they are talking about what ethical implications are brought in discussion of letting machines make decisions with such significance. One part that stuck with me was learning about humanity and moral responsibility. As humans we have our own moral judgments, this means based on values we are able to make decisions based on them being wrong or right. If we let machines make these moral decisions it threatens humanity losing the thing that gives us human “moral control”. I think the quality of the video itself was good, the one thing I wish they included was clips of actual automatic weaponry being used or some examples of it, this would make it more engaging. Overall work was good quality, they included examples of real discussion going on from the United Nations about addressing automated weapons being used. 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWQoO-hBeQc

The short video was informative but it felt very similar to the other video. It had a lot of reading and maybe a voice would have made it a bit more engaging. It was interesting as well and it included an example of automated weaponry. Overally great job group 8 covering this topic, I would have never thought about such a crazy idea unless I watched this video.


Group 6 - Lumora:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuAK344-eM8

Immediately this video was engaging because it discussed something that modern society can relate to, which is social media usage. I really enjoyed that they gave examples of popular media companies that use algorithms and their specific names. The topic was covered well, they deeply discussed how companies use them. It was interesting to learn that companies build their algorithms around human retention not necessarily relevance of a topic. This shapes the mind of users influencing them into picking and choosing what is important in daily news. I say this video was clear and I found it genuinely interesting, they covered all sides of the topic giving positive and negative examples of media algorithms. 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQOUh1kI1Zk

This video was also done similarly to the last video, it discussed the ethical implications of media algorithms covering positives and negatives. Personally, I think it could have been shorter and even a little less professional. It seemed a little long but offered a lot of useful information and I could see a non-technical person understanding this video. Overall great job Lumora!


Group 7 - Capital City Otters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C24i5uP98k


I enjoyed this video as it's something I personally haven't experienced because I am not yet a working professional. The topic being covered was clear that a discussion going on in the tech industry is the constant need to be online 24/7. Work never stops constantly reading group chats and trying to stay up to date on the latest and popular technologies. The topic was covered well, the group spoke about what is currently happening and what ways individuals and businesses are fighting against unhealthy digital consumption. The video offered relevant and high quality information, the only suggestion would be to have added some engaging clips. For a topic like this including some way to connect with its audience like maybe a quick clip of a tech professional speaking about this. Overall great job, this offered information that I plan on incorporating once I am a working professional, implementing screen breaks, screen free weekends and other forms of detox are valuable methods of a digital balance.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMY_ZBHa6Ic

The quick short was really good, it felt like a youtube video I would watch out of pure interest. The take of the team was creative, it felt like I was sitting at a table having a conversation. I say it was more interesting to listen to than informative to a general audience. If the topic is digital detox, maybe including clips of discussion mixed with informative clips showcasing everyone's experiences would be a good suggestion. Overall I found both videos high quality, both were very engaging and interesting.


Part 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppd_upisIGI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTrd9qXZAWg

My experience doing collaborative work in this course was a relatively positive experience. I would say for the most part our group was punctual with the expectations we set for completing work and group meetings. Using slack was a great form of communication, we sent videos, images, and brainstormed ideas using the thread feature. I personally can't see what could be done differently, we all had a similar collaboration style and equally participated in discussions in our chat. 


Comments