Week 7!

 Part one:

Reflect on your team's Final Research Video Project Planning.  How did you collaborate?  What tools did you use to communicate and produce? Is the process smooth, what will you do differently next time in large collaborative projects?

Our team decided to collaborate by building a slide deck that explains each aspect of our research video project. Once we finished our slides we discounted the tasks based on each team member's pick of what slide they will present. We did a lot of communication through slack and it was a smooth process just sending our ideas and asking for feedback through our phone. We also discussed how we can bring our video together and what editing software we should use for usability. I think the overall process was straightforward, for a larger project we would likely need more meeting arrangements. For a project of this length I think our choice of communication and collaboration was great, in the future I can see my team being successful in other large projects. 

Part two:

Ted talk: Can AI make us more human? A social psychologist and a business leader answer

Listening to the Ted Talk I really enjoyed what was said about artificial intelligence and how it can be a powerful tool for us if used right. I myself have gained this perspective through my own usage of tools like Perplexity, ChatGPT and other AI prompt bots. I will say that it is easy to be lazy but as the Ted Talk said that only hurts you in the long run so I refrain from using it in unproductive ways. It actually felt that this Ted Talk confirmed or reassured my view on AI that we can use this as a coaching tool to learn almost anything we are interested in. If you are someone who wants to learn a new skill with zero previous knowledge, AI is a tool to take advantage of. The Ted Talk also gave me a way of using AI chatbots to build my social intelligence. I plan on using this to prepare me for interviews and or networking events creating a less high-stake environment. 

As a future software engineer, reflect on the Harvard Podcast on AI's Perils and Promises

The Harvard Podcast covered a broad range of topics relevant to AI integrations across society. As a future software engineer I feel optimistic and excited about the future of computer science and technology. I think what is important for everyone is to stay informed and how AI might directly affect you in all aspects of your life. In the podcast it's noted that right now professionals are comparing this to the industrial revolution, some people will adapt and some won't, resulting in being left behind. Overreliance is something that I want to stay disciplined on, using it as a tool for programming is great but prompting it in a way that will teach you rather than tell you is important. I would say we are in a new era of innovation and as the podcast says the U.S culturally normalizes “move fast and break things” which is why we have a lot of ethical discovery to do. 

The presentation readings and video were also useful giving insight on ways to improve presentation and not make them so dry. The video I found funny yet informal was “Life After Death by PowerPoint (Corporate Comedy Video)”, its don't dos was so useful because I can think of times I've listened to a presentation that had some of these mistakes. I plan on incorporating these takeaways into my academic and professional presentations where effectively getting the message across is important.


Comments