CST338 -Week7/8 A Final Reflection

 Christopher Buenrostro

CST 338

Week7/8 A Final Reflection

Reflecting on HW01 the android Gym Log, I think the professor's approach was solid in terms of the building layers, although it was confusing to follow in some points, conceptually each piece made sense. If I had to take the project for my own and start from zero outside of school I would probably begin with building the database. The database portion was extensive and took some extra reading and documentation to understand. Once that db is configured we can use it all over our app so now that I understand how to build Android apps I would take this approach. 

I think building up from Gym Log I have had various wins with my confidence when approaching new tools in Java technologies. I was a bit intimidated at first because I use Java academically including for my DSA, OOP courses etc, but I have more extensive project building using Python. My first big win was thoroughly understanding how to implement databases in Android including the repo, entities and the DAOs to actually make queries on our tables. Multiple “aahaa” moments occurred during the process of building pieces to our android database and I was able to leverage the documentation which was super educational. My second major win was learning about programming design patterns and actually being able to implement them. My favorite patterns were the command pattern and the factory design pattern. I can definitely understand how in certain use cases these are strong patterns because it keeps things organized and separate, meaning easier debugging. The skills, tools and concepts taken from CST338 are valuable skills I will take into my continuation of my career and student in CS. 


Comments